The US Foundation of the University of the Valley of Guatemala (USFUVG) was started in 1977 by a group of US citizens committed to the idea that education is essential to Guatemala’s development of civil society and prosperity for all its citizens. The foundation is a 501(c)(3), governed by an independent board of US-based directors. USFUVG’s mission is to improve educational opportunities at the University of the Valley of Guatemala (UVG) by raising funds for scholarships, endowments, and infrastructure and building alliances with US donors.
USFUVG is a charitable organization exempt from taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code (tax ID number is 22-2171258), and has always maintained the highest fiduciary standards. The Foundation has had annual audits performed of its books and records since 1984. Donations are tax deductible to the extent permitted by the law.
Objectives of USFUVG
Since its inception, USFUVG has supported UVG by:
- Securing more than $25 million in USAID/ASHA funding for the construction/renovation of buildings and purchasing classroom and laboratory equipment and technology
- Providing scholarships for thousands of deserving students
- Assisting in establishing relationships between UVG and universities in the United States, including University of Washington, Johns Hopkins, Texas A&M, and Penn State
- Supporting the creation of new educational opportunities and archeological discoveries at the UVG satellite at San Andres Semetabaj
- Securing important gifts of scholarly publications and libraries for UVG